{I love} Bare bricks, plaster and concrete

There’s something so magic about a newly plastered wall. The way it transforms the surface, the potential it offers, the excitement about the creation of a brand new space. I marvel at the skill of plasterers – they make it look easy, but having seen my own husband give it a go I can confirm that it is much, much harder than it looks.

And it’s not only bare plaster I love. It’s bare bricks, rough wood, polished concrete. It’s their texture, plus the way they add an industrial feel to a space. Sometimes I daydream about living in a converted warehouse, and these surfaces all feature. Maybe one day I’ll live somewhere that we can introduce these surfaces into our home, even if it’s only small touches here and there.

In the meantime I’ll enjoy the bare plaster in our bathroom for the short time before it gets painted and tiled, and I’ll carry on daydreaming about bare surfaces…

Bare brick

Polished concrete bathroom

Plaster wall

Peeling plaster

Polished concrete floor

Reclaimed wood kitchen

Wood board bedroom

7 Comments

1. September 27, 2013 / 12:39 pm

That reclaimed wood kitchen has my name on it!

• Heather Young September 28, 2013 / 7:02 pm

Do it! I can fish out the original feature about that kitchen which might have some pointers on how to get started if you fancy it? It was an Ideal Home reader home..

2. September 28, 2013 / 8:02 pm

I WANT THAT KICHEN! Absolutely beautiful.

• Heather Young September 30, 2013 / 8:48 am

Which one Molly? My favourite is the one with the exposed brick wall.

3. November 6, 2013 / 9:53 am

I’m so glad I’m not alone on this!
    We’re renovating ourselves and I’ve actually come to love exposed brick. Sadly, ours are so battered I don’t think we could leave them that way, but I’m thinking brick-effect wallpaper may be the answer 🙂
    Found your blog over on Hibs100 and love it!

Karen x

• Heather Young November 8, 2013 / 3:22 pm

Hello and welcome! I do think brick-effect wallpaper is a fantastic option – gives you the look without the upkeep and is perfect if your bricks aren’t good enough to be left on show. Actually you’ve got me thinking about where we could use some wallpaper in our house now…

4. December 21, 2018 / 12:32 pm

Hi Heather

Could we borrow a photo for a blog post please? We will link back of course. 🙂