You may remember a few months ago, when I
begged asked you very nicely to vote in the MAD Blog Awards. These are a big deal in the parent blogging community, with 3,600 blogs taking part and over 52,000 nominations, and I was thrilled that there was a brand new homes category introduced this year, sponsored by Vertbaudet.
Thanks to your votes, Growing Spaces was shortlisted as a finalist in the Best MAD Home Blog category, and on Friday evening I got to put on a dress and a pair of heels and hot foot it to London for a swanky awards dinner. Sadly, thanks to having three-year-old twins, I don’t actually get out very much, and the combination of excitement, nerves, and a seemingly endless supply of white wine meant that from the starter onwards, my memory of the evening is pretty sketchy. Here are some of the things that I believe took place:
- I met Myleene Klass, and when she expressed admiration that I had so far survived life with twins, I commented: “Oh, but you have a tiny age gap between your two too, don’t you?” “Um, well,” she replied. “Four years.”
- I somehow found myself admitting to Sally Whittle that I had actually been to see Hearsay in concert. Thankfully I managed to restrain from telling this to Myleene herself.
- At some point in the evening, my chair was removed from the table I was sitting at and relocated at a table with some of my favourite people. I believe Jane was the phantom chair thief, and I’m pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that there was still free wine left in the bottles on that table.
- I whooped my way through the award presentations, definitely chanting something along the lines of ‘twin mums rock’ with Jane loudly at inappropriate moments.
- At a particular point in the evening I was rugby tackled to the floor by Jane in an amorous, celebratory embrace.
- I stood up in front of a room full of people and made a speech that my dear friend Emily assures me made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
- I won one of these…..
All in all it was a top evening, and I was taken completely by surprise to win an award, especially given the high calibre of bloggers in my category (Violet Posy, Frugal In Cornwall, Love Chic Living and The White Approach). I had a laugh with some brilliant people – old mates, new bloggers (or new to me at least), and people I’d just never managed to sit down with at any of the blog events I’ve attended in the past. I may not remember it in high definition, but the hefty hangover I woke up with on Saturday morning let me know it was a bloody good night.
Thanks to everyone for voting, thanks to everyone who put up with me on Friday evening, and thanks to the organisers for a fantastic event. This blog has been a little more neglected that I would have liked, with the real world too often taking over on my list of priorities, but I hope that winning a MAD blog award will give me just that extra push to take this blog a bit further, and do more of this and this, and less ‘fill in the gaps’ type posts.
P.S. To the person who stole my winner’s flowers – I hope you blooming enjoyed them.