Three weeks today we’ll be packing our car to bursting with our camping gear and setting off on a month’s road trip round Europe. To say our planning so far has been minimal would be an understatement! However on a rare kid-free night a couple of weeks ago we managed to hammer out a rough route. Far from set in stone, we will start off on this route, but will probably detour from it depending on what we find along the way. My plan is to spend the evenings sat outside the tent (hopefully around a campfire or BBQ with a glass of something as chilled as it can get in our coolbox), researching the next mini stage of our tour.
Our rough route as it stands at the moment includes…
1. Nancy, France. Overnight stopover.
2. Interlaken, Switzerland.
3. Locarno, Switzerland. Meeting some friends.
4. Lake Como, Italy. Just because.
5. Lake Garda & Verona, Italy. Hopefully some opera.
6. Venice, Italy. Because I can’t be that close and not grab the chance to see it.
7. Cinque Terra, Italy. Explore the coast.
8. Annecy/Chamonix, France. Ice caves, lake swimming.
9. Vichy, France (attempting to find a campsite I stayed on as a child).
10. Tours, France. Rivers to swim in.
Inspired by Xanthe Berkeley’s video session at Blogtacular, I hope to shoot some fantastic footage that I can edit into films of our travels. Maybe I’ll get a chance to do some of this along the way, or maybe they’ll wait until we’re home – who knows?
I will, however, definitely be blogging during our trip on both blogs (the more practical, travelling-with-kids content will be over on Young & Younger), even if it’s just a quick picture postcard and a single-sentence update. I’m not sure which bit of the journey I’m most excited about. I haven’t explored much of Italy before, so I’m really looking forward to that – especially getting to see Venice (even if it is just a day trip). The kids have got their sights set on gelato, pizza and Prosciutto so I think Italy will be a highlight for them, too.
Given our own lack of planning, I would love to hear your tips if you’ve been to any of the areas we’re heading to. Places to visit, places to eat, places to swim – any pearls of wisdom you have to offer would be very gratefully received…