I’ve got a bit of an obsession with all things cacti right now and I can’t seem to stop pinning cactus-inspired crafts to my ‘for making’ and ‘for doing with the kids’ Pinterest boards. I appear to have lost my craft mojo a bit at the moment (probably because I’m up to my eyeballs in Christmas crafting for a work project), so I thought I’d gather together a few little cactastic makes that might inspire me to get creative for myself again…
1. I’m longing for some large houseplants (I can’t afford the big ones and mine aren’t growing quickly enough for my impatient nature), so these cardboard cacti by The House That Lars Built could be just the answer I’m looking for. Plus, I reckon these are a great kid-friendly activity for a weekend or for the impending summer hols.
2. Another kid-friendly idea are these painted stones from Craftberry Bush. There are a whole host of these painted-stone makes around at the moment, but I love these for their simplicity. I think they’d make a great gift for someone who isn’t green-fingered, too. In fact, I wonder if the twins would like to put some together for end-of-year gifts for their teachers.
3. I’ve been stock-piling white pillowcases for future fabric printing projects. This simple cactus print from Patchworkcactus is right up my street as I’m a big fan of graphic, monochrome designs (I even have some black fabric paint already stashed away in my craft cupboard).
4. Yonks ago my lovely mother-in-law gave me a rubber carving block so that I could make my own stamps, but I got so paralysed with indecision when it came to choosing a design that it’s still sat in my cupboard waiting to be used. These stamps from Talktothesun‘s Etsy shop are gorgeous, and I think I could definitely give carving something similar a try.
5. I’ve been searching for the perfect crochet cactus pattern, but haven’t come up trumps yet (and to be honest, my crochet skills probably aren’t up to the challenge). These felt and fabric stuffed cacti by i ManuFatti would be a great alternative, and in their pot they’re another fantastic homemade gift idea.